Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sushi Deli 2

The slogan on Sushi Deli 2's website says "Fresh Is Best!", and they are absolutely right. Fresh sushi is the only sushi one should be eating. For this reason, you should steer clear of Sushi Deli 2. Okay, okay, maybe that's a little harsh. Sushi Deli definitely fills the need for fast, cheap sushi, but in this case, you get what you pay for. I don't necessarily believe that all sushi restaurants function in this way, in fact Ra, 2 blocks east on Broadway, is the perfect example of paying too much for average sushi, of paying for attitude and ambiance more than anything, but for now I'll stick to the subject.

I have been to Sushi Deli before- in fact several times, and had okay food. Nothing has ever made me sick, I'm not saying that at all, but when I eat sushi, I at least want to kid myself that I am eating healthy. I would estimate that more than half the menu has some form of tempura in it. Even the miso soup has sprinklings of tempura crunchies in it. I wish I had been warned. The last time I ate there, I tried some sorta roll with shrimp on top and spicy tuna in the center and the shrimp was the texture of bubblegum left on a bedpost overnight.

Yesterday, when a friend of mine was in my office after work and asked if I'd like to get a beer, who am I to say no, right? The closest spot was Sushi Deli 2 and they have good happy hour pricing, so we grabbed a table. Hand rolls are half price and they have a regular deal with a 22 oz Sopporo and sake for $5.50. We ordered the sake and beer, and we each had two hand rolls. I opted for spicy yellowtail and spicy scallop, Devin had spicy tuna and the "Mexican", essentially a fish taco with seaweed instead of tortilla.

Our food was ok. I ate it, there was nothing wrong with the fish, but my seaweed was the texture of tissue paper, only even more dry. Devin had his tuna but didn't like the "Mexican" at all, but blamed himself for ordering it in the first place. Our service was quick and courteous, so nothing against that element of our experience, but in the future I'll opt for a sushi restaurant that I know I like, or I'll head to Sushi Deli with little or no expectations.