Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Richard Walker's

The benefit of 2 for 1 coupons is that you can try out places and if you like them, hopefully keep finding more coupons to go back to spots that you like. Last week, Dave and I ventured back to Richard Walker's for a second time to have breakfast on our lunch break.

Unfortunately, we aren't very adventurous. I rarely eat breakfast out because I'm a pretty good cook. I make my eggs exactly how I like them and I know if I'm cooking, I'm going to be satisfied. As with the last time Dave and I went to Richard Walker's, we both ordered the same thing- 2 eggs with sausage patties. He gets the toast, I get the hot cakes. The food is average, nothing special, but a nice variation from the other downtown fare. Plus, Dave loves breakfast.

Dave ordered a side of hash browns that the waitress never brought (and was not on our receipt). I ordered an orange juice and they automatically brought me the "large", which is maybe about 10 oz for $3.50. Despite the "fresh squeezed" claim, it tasted like it's from one of those fountains. Plus, for $3.50 I could have a whole Jamba Juice. Hell, at a lot of places, that would buy me a bloody mary.

The plates seem really large for the amount of food on the plate. I'd prefer the pancakes on the same plate just so it doesn't seem so sparse. After eating at Hash House a week before there could definitely be more food on the plate, but you don't really wanna go back for 5 hours of work in a food coma, either.

Richard Walker's makes big claims on their menus about their world famous food back east (at Bigford's), but to me, it's not really that hard to make good eggs and bacon. The waffles and German pancakes seem to be their specialty, but I'm not gonna be satisfied after one waffle and that's all you get for your order. I think Denny's is probably just as safe an option. But I guess with a coupon, Richard Walker's ain't half bad.

Richard Walker's is located at 520 Front Street, just south of Market.

No comments: