Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ponce's

After an über saucy night at The Ken Club for Vinyl Radio, I got a call from my sister who was Christmas shopping in Mission Valley and wanted to have Ponce's. Ponce's is pretty much a guaranteed hangover cure, so I was in.

When Christy arrived, Sara joined us as we walked to Ponce's. I've lived in Kensington for 7 years now, and have been going to Ponce's since before they expanded and remodeled, back when most of the seating were swivel seats along an L-shaped low counter. I loved it then, but I love it now, too. They had to expand to meet the demands of their clientele. Now you can even buy Ponce's t-shirts.

We had another 2-for-1 coupon. Sara ordered the #6: a cheese enchilada, chile relleno, and beef taco with rice and beans. I ordered the #2: two cheese enchiladas, a ground beef taco, with rice and beans. My sister ordered 2 cheese enchiladas a la carte. And we threw in a small guacamole for good measure.

Before I continue, I have to really iterate that I love Ponce's. They are the stick to which I measure all other Mexican restaurants. Their enchilada sauce is hands down the best in town and doesn't have that bitter taste that some restaurants have. The beans have a kinda of roasted rich flavor to them. Not recommended for vegans, sorry. This is the real stuff. There are things that could use work- the rolled tacos, for example, are pretty average and you'd be better off just getting those at El Zarape. I really like the steak picada, but their corn tortillas aren't heavy maza torillas like you'd find at Old Town Mex or El Comál. Still, you stick with the combos, you can't go wrong.

We eat our chips and guacamole and it's become a science. Chip gets dipped in the guac, spoon on a few drops of the salsa, and throw on a dash of salt. Pure heaven and nobody can get mad about double dipping or mixing the stuff up.

The food arrives and you're already full just by looking at it, but you're gonna power through. Go for the taco first. The juicy meat will make that shell soggy in 8.6 seconds, so get it in your mouth. When you finish your taco, your beans are still sizzling from the oven conveyor belt the plates are put on as a final touch to melt all the cheese. (This is why they tell you the plates are hot, and they're not messing around) I worked my way through the taco, a couple bites of rice and beans, and one enchilada. I could feel the food coma coming on.

I get a "to go" box and am happy that I'll have breakfast for Sunday, since Ponce's is closed on Sundays. Flor, my friend who also happens to work there freaks out when we pay our bills. A couple weeks ago, she and her husband and a couple friends came over after the Ken Club closed for a few beers. As payback, she adjusted our bill. A lot. And that was in addition to the coupon. To say we scored is putting it lightly. Over the years, I've seen the prices slowly rise, but nothing is unreasonable on their menu, and the added things, like a full liquor license and all the remodeling, have to be covered. You still won't pay more than $10 for any combo, and you definitely won't leave hungry. With or without a coupon, Ponce's is always well worth the experience, and even worth the sometimes really long Friday and Saturday night wait.

Ponce's is located at 4050 Adams Avenue, across the street from Ken Cinema. Ponce's has a wind protected patio, and all orders can be made to go. Just make sure you remind them to give you extra salsa.

No comments: