Friday, January 5, 2007

Hangover Options: 7-Eleven

Oh, Thank Heaven. Recently a 7-Eleven opened in my building- the epitome of convenience. I sometimes feel like a little kid when I'm in there. Remember when you're a kid and you want everything but your mom tells you that you're just there for the Sunday paper and some milk? And then there's that time she's getting gas and surprises you by kicking down a slurpee and you know that things are all good. There was the time in 4th grade that I got grounded for riding my bike to the 7-11 and not coming back until after dark because I couldn't ride and hold my slurpee. That was the worst birthday ever. There was also the time that after losing my virginity, my boyfriend and I walked to the other 7-Eleven near my house but just a little further away, to bask in our post coital slurpee heaven.

But back to the point. I was hungover at work and needing some fixin. When I'm in the store, there's a voice telling me that a half pound of beef jerky, nachos, and a gatorade is NOT gonna solve my problems. But then there's this other voice going "Get it all." I compromised. And I decided to try something new. Resting next to those Big Bite Hot Dogs... Something I've laughed at, gawked at, been grossed out by, and now that I've tried, completely appreciate in all of their awesomeness: The Go-Go Taquito.

The Go-Go Taquito comes in several varieties. There're the promo 2 for $2 ones: taco and cheese, pizza, jalapeƱo and cream cheese were the ones I remember. Then there're the other ones, promo price 3 for $2.79. They come in Monterey Jack and Chicken or Monterey Jack and Beef. I opted for these, though I only made it through two of the three. They're bigger than they seem. The beef is kinda similar to the meat in Jack in the Box tacos. Being that I was eating these at an embarassing hour of the morning, I did have to pop them in the microwave for a couple seconds to get the cheese properly oozy and melty since they probably hadn't been on the little rotisserie grill for long.


I've seen people buy these and then dump nacho cheese and jalapeƱos in the bag they're served in, and now I know that they are a little dry and not very spicy, but still, washed down with some Vitamin Water, and the hangover issue was solved. Maybe they'd taste better with some salsa or guac to dip them in, but they definitely fit my needs for the day: cheap, alcohol absorbent, and convenient. Sometimes it doesn't get any better than that.

And FYI, when lunchtime rolled around, there was no hunger. In fact, I was good to go until dinner time.
And look, you can buy them frozen and take them home... though you probably wanna avoid looking at the nutritional value...

No comments: